Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Preparations are ongoing...


With 5 days remaining until my departure, the travel preparations are ongoing. Perhaps it is because travel was the focal point of my university studies that I am so methodical when it comes to its planning.

I would love to be able to tell people that I`m one of those travelers who randomly books a flight, carelessly throws some things in a bag, and boards a plane, but I`m not. I am the biggest travel freak there ever was---- down to the last insignificant detail! For example, this afternoon while I was on my walk all I could think about was how I needed to bring a pencil with me in addition to a pen in case I need to erase something while studying for a scuba diving course I intend to take while in Fiji. A roll of toilet paper in case I come across a public washroom that doesn`t provide it, photocopies of travel documents, my own locks in case someone tries to scam me with theirs, a backup sheet in case I encounter infested linen, spare batteries for every gadget imaginable, hand sanitizer for situations where soap is absent, bank account statements, detailed itineraries taped to the fridge in case something should happen, photocopied proof of vaccinations, 50 typed resumes post dated January 1st in the event that I am unable to locate a printer (in all of Sydney), and the list goes on...

I`m embarrased to admit that a week ago I set out on Theresa`s vacant bed virtually every item that I am contemplating taking with me so that I can better contemplate their importance. Every day, I take a few moments to stand back and stare at the items, gradually taking away those that "don`t speak to me." I can`t remember if this packing strategy was suggested in a travel guide I once read, or by that backpacker Tourism professor of mine--- but it`s actually a pretty effective way of downsizing your luggage!






No comments: