Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The most ghetto $398 hotel room I`ve ever seen! HAHA

Hardly the Plaza Hotel, but staying there, I felt as though I was the luckiest person alive!!! I felt as though I had died & gone to heaven...

It`s funny how our perspective on things changes as we are exposed and thus adapt to our less than perfect surroundings. (Now I don`t mean to imply that living in a hostel is such a terrible standard of living, but it is one of limited privacy, limited amenities, and limited luxuries (ok--- zero luxuries!) It can really start to get to you after awhile, especially in my case in which I both live and work in the hostel. I breathe it & live it... day after day!


Yesterday afternoon, a friend of mine (who would be flying back home today) and I decided to get a hotel room in the city for the night to be closer to the airport for this morning`s flight. I, having the night off from work, (and desperate for an escape from the chaotic hostel life) jumped at the idea of a queen size bed, an actual bathtub, fresh linens, my own television, etc etc etc! On the bus ride into the city--- I literally felt like a 5- year old child who had just won her dream trip to Disney World!!! (Not a word of a lie!)

Now--- it has to be said that I booked the hotel room on the internet by means of a last minute Sydney accommodation website. Online, the regular room price was quoted at $398--- discounted to $119. I expected a somewhat modern looking room--- basic, but at the very least modern! Walking into the lobby and seeing its freshly painted walls, its bright ambiance, colorful and cheerful loungers, I knew I wouldn`t be disapointed with the room. It would be worth that $398! Bahaha! This is what we actually found...

Decent entrance and general building maintenance...

5 pillows!!!!!!!!! Can you spell L-U-X-U-R-Y???????????

The bathroom was nothing to write home about, but it had a BATHTUB!!!!! (and HOT WATER!!!)... and FRESH TOWELS!!!! and a CLEAN TOILET SEAT!!!!...
Ghetto Whale Cove looking furniture...
Rocking the `70`s look at $398/night? Puh- lease!!!!!
Another bedroom shot... Perhaps I should have made the beds before I took the pic? hehe
Anyways, to make a long story short--- despite the fact that the $398 hotel room turned out to be a pretty ghetto looking thing, I couldn`t have been any happier had I been spending a night at the Plaza Hotel! It felt absolutely AMAZING to escape the hostel boundaries even for just a few hours... To think--- at one point in my life (when hotels were my thing) a room like this one might have sent me running in the opposite direction... What? No turndown service? What? No jetted tub? What? No blinds? What? What? What? What?
To recap the day/night: Took a bus into the city from Coogee at around 3pm. Arrived at the hotel about 40 minutes later. Lounged around for a bit in front of the television! Indulged in a nice HOT bath for the longest time! Once ready, made our way just across the street to Sidebar for a bite to eat and a few quiet drinks. Debated whether or not we should go out to a movie, but then soon concluded that the warmth of the hotel room was more appealing (it`s bloody cold out these nights!)... Nestled under the covers with 5 pillows!!!!!!! and watched some good `ol television for the next 5 hours!!!!!!!!! Haha... This might seem like the world`s most boring night out--- but to me--- it was fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha

No comments: