Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Traveling means having to say good-bye sometimes...

"Maybe some people just aren’t meant to be in our lives forever. Maybe some people are just passing through. It’s like some people just come through our lives to bring us something: a message or a lesson we need to learn, and that’s why they’re here...to teach us something about ourselves"... - The Gift

Traveling isn`t always sunshine & lollipops--- rainbows & open green pastures. There are aspects of travel that really (pardon the slang) suck. It really bums me out when I meet someone, spend oodles of time with them, and then more or less look them in the eye as they`re leaving and say good-bye. But, really, that good-bye for me is like saying, "well--- it was nice knowing you. Hope you have a nice life." Sometimes I find myself deliberately ignoring new travelers in the hostel because I think it`s just easier that way. I mean, really, what is the point of going out of my way to get to know someone who is just going to be leaving in a few days?

Yesterday, someone who has been around in Coogee for almost as long as I have left to return home, and I was feeling really bummed afterward. The past three months have been spent hanging around with that person and having that person around--- and then poof! He`s gone! Your life remains the same except that person is no longer in it--- and all of a sudden you don`t know what to do with yourself.

The past three months have been the most ridiculously confusing months of my life. It has been like one big roller coaster ride! I may not see this person again--- and within a few days it might not even phase me so much if I ever see this person again... but I will probably always regret the way I acted around him--- the way things progressed between us. It was this "why bother getting to know new people who are just going to be leaving" attitude that I`ll always regret...

But I really think everything happens for a reason--- and I really think that I was intended to meet this individual to teach me something about myself. I think I was intended to meet someone who was going to open up my eyes and make me realize that such a "cynical" and "assertive" attitude is such a poor one to have while traveling (or at any time at all). "We never know what might happen--- where things might go---- how things might turn out---- whether or not we might see that person again."

I am going to try my hardest to loosen the grip on my protective shell...


A few random pics from the past three months....

A Tuesday night out at the Coogee Bay Hotel spent watching a Rugby game in the Sports Bar. Sadly, I look like a deer caught in the headlights (so not such a good pic).

On Monday mornings, I help out Rachael (hostel cleaner) with her duties because it is a really busy check-in/check-out day for the hostel. Here is a pic from a few months back (when we first met in the hostel). No doubt, American Frank is saying something really American- like (arrogant and ignorant) and I am flashing him my turned up nose look that says "I can`t believe you just said that to me." Haha

The night we all went out to watch a Rugby game between two Sydney rival teams...

Just another night in---lounging in room #3... Frank went for a haircut a few weeks back and ended up leaving the shop with an Australian mullet, which then led him to shave his hair all off.... now he just looks like a peanut...! haha

The three American stooges... (back when Frank had a). hair & b). a six pack and not a beer gut... haha

The barricade the Americans created in the hostel on one of their very first nights in an attempt to meet other people... haha (you wouldn`t even believe their tactics!)


And so another chapter is closed. May a new one begin...

No comments: