Monday, May 26, 2008

Damage Done


This morning I finished reading the memoir "Damage Done" by Warren Fellows. It is one man`s account of years spent in a Thai prison after he was arrested for drug trafficking heroine between Australia and Thailand. I have never in my life read anything so graphic and gruesome! I didn`t even know it possible to write in such a way! The book details the inhumane treatment of criminals in the Thai prisons--- from fattening up cockroaches to feast on them, spending hours wading in a sewage tub full of crap, vomit, and pee, watching men being beat to death before your eyes and then having the body remain in your cell for days, shooting up heroine from the intestines of a pig to get a hit, feasting on cats and sewage rats, being beaten, tortured, slaughtered...

DAMAGE DONE ALRIGHT!!!! I don`t know who suggested to me that I read such a nightmarish book only 5 days before I myself make my way into these Southeast Asian countries. These often corrupt countries. I know that in this case the author had indeed been guilty of drug trafficking, but you also hear stories of innocent travelers being caught with drugs that were planted by the law officials themselves (looking for a money bribe!)...

WOW!!! I have to admit that the book freaked me out a little bit... sigh... Time for me to head to the bookshelf and find myself a nice light read... sunshine & lollipops...rainbows & teddy bears...

No comments: