Saturday, May 24, 2008

Feeling a wee bit Blue.. Fearing there will be some Nostalgia...

Nostalgia: a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time...= Surfside?

Any place I`ve ever been or any job I`ve ever had, I`ve counted down the days to my last & have been ready more than anything to leave. I find that with traveling, I always arrive at that point when every last bit of me recognizes that it is time to keep on trekking--- to leave the current job, current dwelling, current friends, and current town behind & to keep moving forward.

I`m just not sure that I`ve reached that point yet here in Coogee. The truth of the matter is- I`m moving on because the plan I laid out for this journey dictates to me that it is time for me to leave. It`s telling me that I must move on to bigger things--- that my station is elsewhere if I want to accomplish everything in time to go home for Christmas. With a week left in Coogee (at Surfside)--- I`m feeling a little bit Nostalgic. I`m fearing that the minute I walk out these hostel doors that I`ll be filled with feelings of longing to be back in room #3 surrounded by the familiarness.

Before I arrived at the hostel, I doubted the very idea that there could be a job out there that I`d actually want to go to each day. I couldn`t imagine such a job that would actually have me want to get out of bed for in the morning, or in which I`d actually not be bothered with putting in a few extra unpaid hours. The truth of the matter is--- while I do get annoyed from time to time with the immaturity of some backpackers, or the repetitiveness of their demands--- I enjoy the social bit, the laid back feel of coming to work and not having someone looking over my shoulder, the hours, the location, the tasks, being able to relate to my surroundings and being surrounded by so many other wandering souls (as it seems to justify my own). Coming to work is not a chore. It is not something I dread or could cry at the very thought of. It is by no means the most glamorous job there is going--- but I love the responsibility, the freedom, the perks, the location... I really do like it a lot! And so as I continue my journey and close the doors to the "Surfside Chapter" I am in fact feeling rather blue...

But despite the feelings of apprehension that I am experiencing, "what must be must be..."


No comments: