Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I travel alot...

... I hate having my life disrupted by routine (hehe)

Only another 10 days remain to my "Coogee" travel chapter. On the one hand, I am thrilled at the idea of exploring new destinations, witnessing new ways of life, and meeting new people. I am setting out on a resume building journey, thereby setting the ground work for my future career! I`m looking forward to living cheaply, working with children again, increasing my perspective on world poverty, and feeling like I made a difference in the world (even if it`s only in a very small way). For about a month now (since the orginal Surfside crew moved on), I`ve been going through the motions of work, eat, and sleep in making my way toward June 1st. I`ve been lying low in waiting for my departure time from Surfside to arrive.

On the other hand, my adventure is not without it`s fair share of feelings of apprehensiveness.
Again, I am venturing out into the unfamiliar and that is always frightening to a certain extent. What is living with a Filippino family going to be like? Will I go through culture shock again? What if I don`t have the necessary creative juices to be successful at this particular placement? What if I can`t find work when I come back into Australia as easily as I would like to? What if I dislike the work I secure? What if I try and "wing" my Malaysia and Philippines travel and wind up finding myself without a roof over my head or without transportation back to the main city to catch my flight? What if my passport goes missing? What if? What if?

WHAT IF???

I guess, at this point, the best way to deal with my concerns is by being as prepared as possible for any kind of obstacles that I may encounter along the way. This being said, my last ten days in Australia will be spent researching everything from currencies--- to climate--- to modes of transportation--- to town maps! Honestly, if one of my fellow backpackers were to see all of my printouts or witness all of my googling in the run of a day, they would look at me as though I had two heads with this look of utter disgust that reads "have you lost your freaking mind?".

But to tell you the truth--- it`s not so much the worry that leads to my overplanning--- it`s a love of being in control of every possiple situation--- and an insane love of learning & planning!




"Traveling is like flirting with life. It's like saying, 'I would stay and love you, but I have to go; this is my station.'"- Lisa St. Aubin de Teran


No comments: